Monday, September 8, 2008

Back at it again this past weekend. Went to Knoxville TN for the Oakridge omnium Saturday. The 68 mile road race was combined 1,2,3's. First of three laps got separated from the leed group on on of the climbs but limited the damage on the back side (52 mph) and when I hit the rollers picked up four cat 3 riders and talked them into working. We held a smooth pace line for 8 - 10 miles and when we came up on the cars pointed to my rear wheel and put it on the white line and got us back to the group. Lap two the cramps came in and from there the suffer began. I was able to survive though and was proud to be in the group since it had some of the best pro 1 riders from TN. The sprint was on a side road and as the pace ramped up I was feeling ok. I started to move and boom we passed the line. I never did see it till 50 meters, oh well I still got 8th in the cat 3's not to bad for getting over being sick.
Sunday's crit I did the masters 30-40 which there were only 4 people in the race that were not on a TN team. That made for a frustrating race for me since all they do is attack each other and chase everybody down. Knowing it would be a mass sprint I just rode around in circles. I was getting into good positioning going into turn 3 on the final lap when Mr. Honda took a hail mary and shoved his big rearend in font of me without any finesse at all. He also had the worst bike handling skills in the group so coming into turn 4 I did not feel to secure about going under him and had to wait a second before I attacked. I was able to get up to 13th by the line and to my surprise got 2nd in the 40+. The 2nd got me half my money back so that wasn't to bad.
Saturday night we got to go out to dinner for our birthdays which was nice and spent the night with Steve and Jennifer. Shawn got to get a couple of hours of riding in and talked mom into 7 games of Yahtzee during my road race. This week will be Shawn's birthday so mom and I have to get busy.

No comments: